Sunday, November 22, 2009

I was a woman in an electronics store!!


What does it take to be a woman in an electronics store? Ensure that you know nothing...

I experienced the bitter-sweet brainlessness of my own today at an electronics store...

Sumeet (my partner) and I went to buy an iMac at the world’s largest Apple store (well this is the only thing I can boast I know... doesn’t take too much brain for this though). Now this is a system that Sumeet has been lusting after, before I entered his life and so I was spared the embarrassment of having to see him stand outside Apple stores with his horns sticking out. But today he almost hit me with one of those very horns man! The reason being my shameless womanhood...

So here’s the scenario. At half past three Sumeet and I entered the store fully loaded with cash and my student ID card since King’s College students get 12% discount on the machine we were buying... Sumeet’s mouth was dripping with longing for the iMac Quad-core (Oops! I was just about to write Quad-pro... save me man-God!!)

The store assistant (SA) positively-certainly confirmed that they only have the Dual-core and the one that we want is out of stock... I shot my first question...

Me: What’s a Quad-Core any way? (After trying myriad ways of explaining to me and failing... here came the master stroke that did it...)

SA: It’s basically a man with a multiple personality disorder...

Me: And what’s this RAM thingi?? (By now the assistant had entered my brain and was sitting inside comfortably)

SA: It’s like a re-usable plastic bag.

Me: And how much can it contain?

SA: Near about 4000 potatoes and you can pay some extra bucks and buy a bigger one that would carry 16000 potatoes...

Me: Wow! That’s a lot. I’d never be able to use that much space... but then if I have this plastic bag then why do I need this 1-tera byte Hard disk crap?

SA: Oh! Well you’d need to keep your vegetables safe in some place right... so it’s like the Refrigerator...

Me: Ok I promise this is my last question or Sumeet will kill me... What the hell is this damn Graphic card that one has to pay 200 quids for?

SA: Ok tell me when you want a complete face-lift and when you’re in a mood to look perfect what is it that does the magic?

Me: Oh! I could just visit a nice Salon on strand and spend hours getting a facial and some steam treatment done... to look bright, clean, fresh and young!!

SA: So this graphic card does exactly that to the graphic images on this machine... so now do you think all this money would be well spent?


Me: I guess this is the only way for me to feel that I am benefitting from my education... I mean getting a discount on the student’s card... so maybe yup! Makes sense...

By now Sumeet was dying to drag me out of the store cos I had embarrassed him and amused the passer-by’s enough for a day... or maybe a year... but I still had my House-wife-ly questions... like a pond that would never die!! I started to pour myself out, outside the the store.

“Baby if this is a desktop computer then where the hell is that phallic looking CPU”, I implored.

Possessed with anger yet restraining Sumeet: Sweetheart it’s in there... for once it’s not sticking out you see...

No comments:

Post a Comment